- Great resources to use as you begin your research.
- They provide background information and overviews of topics.
Examples of Reference Sources:
- General Encyclopedia - Summaries of factual information on a wide range of topics.
- Ex. World Book Encyclopedia
- Special Encyclopedia - Summaries of factual information on a specific subject
- Ex. Science Encylopedia, Encylopedia of Dance
- Dictionary - Provides definitions of words.
- Can be general (ex. Merriam-Webster)
- Or for a specific subject (ex. Science Dictionary)
- Thesaurus - Provides synonyms and antonyms of words.
- Almanac - Compilation of facts and statistics
- Atlas - A book of maps, charts and geographical information.