- Putting someone else's facts and information into your own words.
- Because it is not your information, you must include an in-text citation to give credit to the original source.
- You must rework the entire sentence and put in your own voice.
- Paraphrasing is not only replacing words with synonyms.
- Paraphrasing is not only changing the simple word order.
- A Good paraphrase changes the wording AND sentence structure AND includes an in-text citation.
Original: Ronald Reagan liked jelly beans and monkey bread.
Bad Paraphrase: Ronald Reagan enjoyed monkey bread and jelly beans (Olver).
Better Paraphrase: Jelly beans and monkey bread were a few of Ronald Reagan's favorite foods (Olver).